How to simulate a project with a DOE loan award

• dmantena
  • Topic Author
More
12 May 2013 06:35 #1607 by dmantena
I am trying to model the Solana CSP Generating Station and was wondering how to properly input a DOE loan award to the financing portion of the simulation.

Do i use to it calculate the debt fraction for the financing portion, use it in the construction loan, or simulate it as an Investment Based Incentive(IBI).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
13 May 2013 23:08 #1608 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic How to simulate a project with a DOE loan award
Hello,

I am not familiar with the "DOE loan award," so am not sure how to recommend modeling it.

If the award is structured like a typical loan where you borrow a percentage of the total installed cost, and then make principal and interest payments over the loan period, I would use the debt fraction, loan interest rate, and loan period inputs to model it.

SAM models an IBI as a single payment in Year zero of the project cash flow (you specify whether the payment is taxable in Year 1). That would be appropriate if the award is a one-time grant.

The construction load inputs in SAM calculate a Year 0 cost to cover construction period financing charges. I don't think that would be appropriate to model the DOE award.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman