Efficiency Deratings based on Measured Cell Temperatures (instead of a-b-dT model)

• PhilippS
  • Topic Author
More
05 May 2013 08:06 #1589 by PhilippS
I am trying to model a PV module with unusual thermal properties in SAM. Since it doesn't dissipate heat to ambient straightforwardly, I would like to input measured data for cell temperature T(t) over the year and let SAM apply the correct efficiency deratings for these temperatures.

What would be a good path to simulate this effect?
I'd like to do it well, as this is important for the value proposition of my scenario.

Best,
PhilippS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
06 May 2013 15:07 #1590 by Paul Gilman
Dear PhilppS,

As you know, SAM's different PV module models offer different algorithms for estimating the cell temperature based on the ambient temperature, wind speed, and incident radiation.

The temperature correction algorithm for the Sandia module model uses the coefficients a, b, and dT. The algorithm is described in general terms in the Module topic of SAM's Help system, and in more detail in King et al (2008), which you can find on the Performance Models page of the SAM website.

Unfortunately, SAM does not offer an option to provide the cell temperature as an input.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman