ERROR at trough storage time 0h

• Suzuki Koichi
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2013 00:24 #1527 by Suzuki Koichi
ERROR at trough storage time 0h was created by Suzuki Koichi
Hello,

When I use the technology option of CSP Parabolic Trough Physical Model and the financing option of Commercial PPA, the cases of (1) and (2) are calculated properly, but the case (3) cannot be calculated with the error message of the attached text file.

Case (1)
Full load hours of TES: 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15h
Solar multiple: From 1.0 to 4.0 with the increment of 0.25

Case (2)
Full load hours of TES: 0h
Solar multiple: 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2

Case (3)
Full load hours of TES: 0h
Solar multiple: More than 1.2

I can not understand the error message generated in the calculation of the case (3)
I would appreciate it if you could advise how the case (3) can be calculated?

Sincerely,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Apr 2013 15:59 #1528 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic ERROR at trough storage time 0h
Hello,

It is hard for me to tell exactly what the problem might be without seeing your SAM file. Would you mind attaching Case 3 to your original message so that I can troubleshoot?

Best regards,
Paul.

• Suzuki Koichi
  • Topic Author
More
15 Apr 2013 10:52 #1529 by Suzuki Koichi
Replied by Suzuki Koichi on topic ERROR at trough storage time 0h
Dear Paul,

Hello.
I attached the Case3 SAM file and climate text date.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

• Paul Gilman
More
26 Apr 2013 16:24 #1530 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic ERROR at trough storage time 0h
Dear Suzuki,

Thank you for sending the file. The solar multiple represents the relative capacities of the solar field and power cycle under design conditions. For higher solar multiples, there are more hours during the year when the solar field thermal output exceeds the power cycles thermal input capacity. During those hours, SAM defocuses the collectors in the field to reduce the field's output. This requires an iterative algorithm that can fail in situations that require a lot of defocusing.

In the file you sent, I found that the simulations fail for solar multiples greater than 1.5, which suggests that given your design and location, the solar field should be smaller than that. Adding storage to the system would reduce the need for field defocusing.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Suzuki Koichi
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2013 11:03 #1531 by Suzuki Koichi
Replied by Suzuki Koichi on topic ERROR at trough storage time 0h
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your cooperation.
Although you mentioned that excessive defocusing of the collectors due to too much solar field area caused the failure of the calculation, I found that the calculation for the solar multiple greater than 2.25 with the storage hour: 0h could be converged.
I could calculate the cases for the solar multiple less than 1.25 and greater than 2.25.
Unfortunately, there was no local minimum value of LCOE in the range I could calculate. (Please see attachment: storage hour 0h_LCOE vs sm.png)
Therefore, the optimum value of solar multiple seems to exist between 1.25 and 2.25.
Could you advise how to find the optimum value in this situation?

Sincerely,

Suzuki

Moderators: Paul Gilman