Linear Fresnel finite difference calculation methodology accuracy

• luiscoco
  • Topic Author
More
02 Apr 2013 13:38 #1504 by luiscoco
Dear Paul and Michael,
Regarding to SAM Linear Fresnel solar collector design methodology, looking at SAM file Type 261 code, I think SAM achieves a finite difference methodology based on the number of modules in superheating section (nModSH) and number of modules in boiler section (nModBoil). According to this calculation methodology, SAM calculates thermodynamic parameters each 44.8 m length in a Novatec boiler Linear Fresnel Unit. The problem arises due to high variability in thermodynamic parameters in boiling and in compressible steam in superheating section. I have been checking to increase the number of segments in finite difference calculation methodology in the attached Excel file. In superheating modules due to high thermodynamic parameters variations due to temperature increments in each Node(nModTot variable in File Type261), the total superheating modules length varies too much. Could you confirm me this issue?
Could you please provide me a solution to increase results accuracy???
Best Regards,
Luis Coco EnrĂ­quez

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• luiscoco
  • Topic Author
More
02 Apr 2013 14:06 #1505 by luiscoco

Sorry it was a mistake in the Excel file attached. In Linear Fresnel Nominal Optical Efficiency value I considered 0.95 and it is 0.65 for superheating modules.I will send you the corrected one in another question.

Best Regards LUIS COCO

• luiscoco
  • Topic Author
More
02 Apr 2013 14:08 #1506 by luiscoco

I edited the message and I corrected the error, now it is attached the right one.

Regards, Luis coco

• mwagner
More
03 May 2013 18:52 #1507 by mwagner
Hello Luis,

The preferred approach for heat loss modeling in the Linear Fresnel tool is to specify heat loss as a polynomial function dependent on temperature and (possibly) wind velocity. The evacuated tube model was originally developed for liquid HTF's such as Therminol or molten salt, and while it can model liquid water fairly well, it struggles to accurately model the internal convection in the 2-phase boiling regime and for superheated steam.

I would recommend using your detailed model to generate a heat loss correlation that adjusts the thermal loss to reflect the decreasing heat transfer coefficient of the receiver as water changes phase to steam. Once you do this, you can increase the discretization of the solar field if desired. SAM calculates the internal steam temperature as the flow increases in enthalpy throughout the loop, so any correlation you supply will be applied within the loop depending on the local fluid temperature.

As you probably noticed, separate correlations can be applied for the boiler and superheater sections. The nonlinearity of the heat transfer as it changes phase leads me to believe you may want to develop separate correlations for the boiler and superheater sections.

I've reviewed the methodology that we assumed for the evacuated tube model and don't believe it provides accurate enough results for boiler modules with high vapor fractions, and it likely underestimates the heat loss in the superheater. So again, I'd recommend using the polynomial heat loss model until we can improve the evacuated tube model for boiling/steam flow.

Best,
Mike Wagner
NREL

Moderators: Paul Gilman