Solar Self-Sufficiency Metric in PySAM and/or SAM

• ali baba613
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2024 01:24 #13279 by ali baba613
I wanted to ask if SAM has a built-in self-sufficiency metric, and if yes whether it is implemented in PySAM (preferably PVWatts for both). I searched documentation as well as the forum and found no similar metric or how one could leverage already existing outputs to calculate this. I realize that a rough estimate could be found by dividing energy produced by PV/energy required by facility, but if the system does not have an installed battery and the electricity supply and demand profile curves don't match, then that rough estimate becomes highly inaccurate.

NB. Self sufficiency in this case is defined as: "how much of the consumed energy, came from the photovoltaic system."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
09 Jul 2024 17:18 #13288 by pgilman
Hello,

SAM's PV models do not report a self-sufficiency metric.

For either PVWatts or Detailed PV without storage combined with wither the Residential or Commercial financial model, you can use the time series "Electricity from system to load (year 1 hourly) (kWh)" and "Electricity load (year 1) (kW)" outputs to determine how much of the load is met by the PV system.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Thomas_edward
More
11 Jul 2024 07:08 #13296 by Thomas_edward
Replied by Thomas_edward on topic Solar Self-Sufficiency Metric in PySAM and/or SAM
No, SAM does not have a built-in self-sufficiency metric, and it is not implemented in PySAM, including PVWatts. You would need to calculate it manually by comparing hourly PV production with hourly facility consumption.

Moderators: pgilman