Are the system schematics accurate?

• manish2961
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2024 02:59 #13189 by manish2961
Are the system schematics accurate? was created by manish2961
Hi!
My question has 2 parts-
1. The process schematics of IPH trough and IPH power tower molten salt show a power cycle. Instead, I guess they should show a heat sink (an endothermic reaction, maybe?) that gets heat from the solar field, and thus no electricity is produced.
2. I am trying to model a system that produces high temperatures after concentrating sunlight at a receiver (from heliostats). This high-temperature heat is transferred to a cold molten salt (or any other HTF), which then supplies its heat for a reaction that requires around 1000 C. I understand that the solar salt would decompose at these high temperatures. Is there a way to model this in SAM? Please let me know.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
23 May 2024 16:52 #13194 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Are the system schematics accurate?
Hi Manish,

You are correct that the diagram on the System Design page for the IPH Tower Molten Salt shows a power cycle where it should show a heat sink. The other components are correct, so hopefully it is helpful for understanding the parts of the model.

The salt properties are defined on the Tower and Receiver page. You can choose the user-defined HTF option to define a different HTF. There is information about working with a custom HTF at the bottom of the Tower and Receiver Help topic. Here is a copy of that topic on the SAM website: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/iph_mspt_tower_receiver.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

• manish2961
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2024 21:08 #13198 by manish2961
Replied by manish2961 on topic Are the system schematics accurate?
Sounds great, thank you, Paul.

Moderators: pgilman