CSP Physical Trough Heat Losses

• Veber Ribeiro
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2024 13:18 #13154 by Veber Ribeiro
CSP Physical Trough Heat Losses was created by Veber Ribeiro
Hello,I have a question regarding the calculation of heat losses (convective and reflective) on the receiver. I understand that they depend on the inlet and outlet temperatures of the HTF, but I'm uncertain about how these temperatures are determined or computed. The simulation results provide four hourly temperature values:
  1. Field timestep-averaged inlet temperature (°C)
  2. Loop timestep-averaged outlet temperature (°C)
  3. Loop timestep-averaged inlet temperature (°C)
  4. Loop timestep-averaged outlet temperature (°C)
Could you please clarify which of these temperature values should be used to calculate the heat losses, and could you provide guidance on the calculation process? Additionally, should an initial temperature value be taken into account?Thanks for your support.Veber Ribeiro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
07 May 2024 16:34 #13157 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP Physical Trough Heat Losses
Hi Veber,

The heat loss equations are described in Sections 2.1.1 and 2.4.2 of the physical trough model reference manual. For example, see Equations 2.11, 2.26, 2.57, and 2.58 and their descriptions. Additional heat losses are described in Table 8.

Wagner, M. J.; Gilman, P. (2011). Technical Manual for the SAM Physical Trough Model. 124 pp.; NREL Report No. TP-5500-51825. ( PDF 3.7 MB )

References to this and other papers on SAM's CSP model are on the CSP Publications page: sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-publications.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman