Understanding Losses in PV-Battery Model

• nendae
  • Topic Author
More
03 May 2024 10:13 #13142 by nendae
Hi Paul and NREL Team,

Thanks so much for always quick and helpful responses.

I am currently working on a PV-Battery model. I have an AC connected, BTM battery using the Self-consumption dispatch option. I would like to tie back the values to understand where the losses are in general.

I would expect the following to be true:
yr 1 system generated kWAC > (yr 1 electricity to grid from systemv+ yr 1 electricity to load from system + yr 1 electricity to battery from system).

With any shortfall being considered system loss. However, there is no shortfall. Instead, yr 1 system generated kWAC is smaller than the aggregated outflows.

I am also looking at the inverter AC output power, which is greater than the system generated value. I would like to see the flow from DC to AC output to grid, load, and battery.

Could you please provide some guidance with this? I would like to understand the flow, so I can see where to largest losses are and account for them. I have attached my SAM file and spreadsheet. Thanks so much for your help!

Kind regards, 
Ondrea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
03 May 2024 11:27 #13144 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Understanding Losses in PV-Battery Model
Hi Ondrea,

Analyzing the flow of losses should make more sense if you look at individual hours instead of annual totals.

For the AC-connected battery, in any given time step:

Inverter AC output power = Electricity to grid from system AC + Electricity to load from system AC + Electricity to battery from system AC

This is true except when the system is not generating power at night, and the inverter AC output power is negative for inverter night-time consumption.

Keep in mind that the system power generated variable many include power from both the PV array and battery, so for some time steps System Power Generated = 90,000 kW and Electricity to Load from System AC = 90,000 kW while Electricity to Battery from System > 0.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman