Appending Snow Data

• Maelyn Kaya
  • Topic Author
More
20 Mar 2024 00:41 #13001 by Maelyn Kaya
Appending Snow Data was created by Maelyn Kaya
Hello, 

I am trying to append snow data onto a weather data file from the NSRDB data base, but I only have data from years 2017-2021, each in a separate .csv file. I have attached one here for reference. 

How do I use the append snow data macro to attach this data to the correct year in the weather file?
I was able to append the first one but the 2021 data got put in the 2005 rows. 

Thank you in advance for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Mar 2024 23:17 #13010 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Appending Snow Data
Hi Maelyn Kaya,

The file you attached appears to have daily snow data for 2021. I'm not sure what units the data in the Snow column are in.

SAM requires snow depth data in cm for each time step. To use the data in your file in a SAM weather file with hourly data, you would need to convert it to hourly data, and ensure that it is snow depth in centimeters. SAM requires a valid value for every time step, so the gaps in your file would have to be replaced with zeros.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Maelyn Kaya
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2024 00:08 #13013 by Maelyn Kaya
Replied by Maelyn Kaya on topic Appending Snow Data
Hello, 

My data is already in cm. If I did extend the data set into hourly data, how would I append it to the correct year in SAM? Would I have to set blank values for the years I do not have data for and consolidate all the years into one snow data file? 

Thanks,  
Maelyn 

• Paul Gilman
More
21 Mar 2024 15:54 #13015 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Appending Snow Data
Hi Maelyn,

SAM's weather files contain one year of data from January 1 to December 31. See the "SAM CSV Format for Solar" topic in Help: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/weather_format_sam_csv_solar.html

To use the snow data in SAM, start with an existing weather file for a given year and add a column with the heading "snow depth" that contains hourly data for that year.

If you are modeling multiple years in SAM, you'll have to use a separate weather file for each year and run a simulation for each year.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman