Multiple orientations with a single POA measurements

• Roberto
  • Topic Author
More
11 Mar 2024 22:32 #12970 by Roberto
Hello!

I've trying to run a simulation in SAM for a PV system. In such system, we have 2 different orientations, but in site we only have a pyranometer measuring POA in one of the two orientations. Beside this measurement, we have wind speed and amb. temp.
I wanted to ask some punctual questions:
-When importing measured POA data in SAM, it doesn't ask for the orientation of the pyranometer, so if I set multiple orientations in "System Design", why SAM is not asking for this information? Does SAM transposes the POA for the multiple orientations somehow?
-Reading some of the forum topics, you mentioned that SAM also requires air mass as an input when working with POA measurements (instead of GHI/DHI/DNI). I ran the simulation without this variable, how much does it affects the results? 
-Finally, I tried to work with only 1 month of hourly data to import it to SAM, but SAM requires a full year of data, is this correct?

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm really curious about this!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
12 Mar 2024 16:40 #12973 by Paul Gilman
Hi Roberto,

For SAM's Detailed PV model, the POA from reference cell and POA from pyranometer options are at the bottom of the Location and Resource page under "Albedo - Sky Diffuse Model - Irradiance Data (Advanced)." When you choose one of these options, SAM assumes that the column of weather data in the weather file with the label "POA" contains irradiance data measured in the plane of the array. This means that the orientation of the pyranometer or reference cell used to make the measurements is the same as the array orientation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "SAM also requires air mass as an input." When you choose the POA from reference cell option, SAM assumes that the reference cell has the same optical characteristics as cells in the modules of the array, so it removes internal calculations of angle-of-incidence effects. For the POA from pyranometer option, SAM calculates angle-of-incidence effects by decomposing the POA data into its direct and diffuse components. This is automatically handled by the model, so you do not need to provide any additional inputs.

SAM requires a weather file with one full year's worth of data. You can use the NREL PySAM package for Python to run the Detailed Photovoltaic (Pvsamv1) model with less than one year's worth of data, but this requires writing code in Python and learning how to use the PySAM package. For more about PySAM and coding with SAM in other programming languages, see sam.nrel.gov/software-development-kit-sdk.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Roberto
  • Topic Author
More
12 Mar 2024 16:45 #12974 by Roberto
Thanks a lot for your orientation Paul!

Best regards,
Roberto.

Moderators: Paul Gilman