How to build the diagram of the wave energy converter with my own data

• Juan Diego Diaz Alvarez
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2024 00:17 #12968 by Juan Diego Diaz Alvarez
I have the data and when us the guide diagrams tha SAM have, I build my own diagram, but the program sends me an error when simulating in which that I'm confused, and I haven't idea to sort out. The error is the next one.
exec fail(mhk_wave): The wave conditions at timestep0were not able to be located in the power matrix. Please check your resource file
Simulation mhk_wave failed :exec fail(mhk_wave): The wave conditions at timestep0were not able to be located in the power matrix. Please check your resource file
exec fail(hourly_energy_calculation): invalid number of gen records (8763): must be an integer multiple of 8760
Simulation singleowner failed :exec fail(hourly_energy_calculation): invalid number of gen records (8763): must be an integer multiple of 8760Please help me with this error, and how to fix it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Mar 2024 17:08 #12969 by Paul Gilman
Hi Juan,

Please attach a copy of the .csv file you are using for your wave resource data if you would like me to help troubleshoot.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Topic Author
More
12 Mar 2024 23:38 #12977 by Juan Diego Diaz Alvarez
Hi Paul,

Thanks to the help the .csv that have the name of San_Andres_WEC is the one with the error and also I send you the .csv of the Wave Resource (lat12.63_lon-81.63_2020.csv) that is the complement of the .csv of the WEC

• Paul Gilman
More
13 Mar 2024 22:06 #12979 by Paul Gilman
Hi Juan,

Thank you for sending the files.

The frequency of occurrence "San_Andres_WEC.csv" file needs two header rows above the resource data rows. In the attached "San_Andres_WEC.csv" file, I added those rows with empty data to get SAM to recognize the file. You can use a zero for any headers that you do not have data for.

The time series "lat12.63_lon-81.63_2020.csv" file needs time stamps from January 1 to December 31. For example, for three-hour data, the first time stamp might be 2013/1/1 0:0 and the last one 2013/12/31 0:21. The time stamps in your file start with 2013/6/1 0:0 and end with 2014/7/19 0:0. There is also one extra row in your file: For three-hour data, the total number of rows including headers should be 2923, your file has 2924. Perhaps you could rearrange the data to start with January 1 2014 and end with December 31 2013.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2024 23:35 #13019 by Juan Diego Diaz Alvarez
HI Paul

Thanks for the help but I have a question about how the WEC is built since the document they provided me did not work for me although I managed to deduce some things and built another one which will no longer generate an error, even so I am going to send it to you to see if Help me to have more data or see if you can explain to me through a report or a message what the construction of the WEC file is like.

Stay tuned to your comments.
Best regards,
Juan Diego.

• Paul Gilman
More
28 Mar 2024 20:25 #13036 by Paul Gilman
Hi Juan Diego,

You can find a description of the marine energy resource file formats in Help: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/weather_format_csv_marine_energy.html

You can also find examples of the files in the 'wave_resource' folder your SAM installation folder ('C:/SAM/2017.12.23' by default in Windows). For examples of time series wave resource data, see the 'wave_resource-ts' folder.

The file you attached is missing the first two header rows. You can copy and paste those rows from one of the files in the 'wave_resource' folder.

Best regards,
Paul

Moderators: Paul Gilman