Formating Wave Data

• Kyle Wilson
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2024 12:32 #12944 by Kyle Wilson
Formating Wave Data was created by Kyle Wilson
  hi, Paul 

just wondering if you could have a look at this file. i have spent the time to format this item into the timeseries veriosn that can be accessed by sam and as such it can allow for it to be downloaded issue is it is not reading the correct data even though it is formatted correctly. i am very confused please find attached to see if you could seen something perhaps i am not ? 

kind regards

Kyle 

File Attachment:

File Name: cefas_morray.csv
File Size:337 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
29 Feb 2024 16:45 #12955 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Formating Wave Data
Hi Kyle,

There are two problems with the file:
  1. SAM expects the data to start on January 1 and end December 31. Yours starts on September 6. You can fix that by moving the rows around so that the file starts with 2023/1/1 0 and ends with 2022/12/31 23. Or, if you have access to the data from Jan 2023 to Dec 2023 or Jan 2022 to Dec 2022, you can use that data instead.
  2. September 6 is included twice in your file, once for 2022 an once for 2023. The final data should have data for 8760 hours.
Attached is a version of your file with the data rearranged and the duplicate September 6 data removed.

SAM's Marine Energy Wave model in SAM 2023.12.17 expects time series data in 3-hour time steps, so the total kWh values reported from this file will be off by a factor of 3. The time series data in kW are correct, so if you are only looking at that data and not at total annual or monthly data, or at financial model rseults, you could use the hourly data as it is. Otherwise, you would need to convert it to 3-hour data.

We are fixing that in the first update to SAM 2023.12.17, which we hope to release next week: github.com/NREL/ssc/pull/1130

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman