Power consumption of solar tracker

• Anh
  • Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2024 13:15 #12866 by Anh
hi colleagues, 

I am doing a simulation of a tracking solar system (horizontally single axis). There is a question about the power consumption of a solar tracker that I would like to ask. As far as I understand, the solar tracker will use the power generated from the solar panel. 
Can anyone please tell me further about the method to estimate the power consumption of a solar tracker?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you, 

Kind regards,
Anh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
05 Feb 2024 16:48 #12867 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Power consumption of solar tracker
Hi Anh,

SAM does not model power consumption for solar trackers. You can account for tracker power as a loss by adjusting the DC loss on the Losses page.

Tracking error loss accounts for failure of the tracker to correctly orient the modules, and is another factor to consider. SAM assumes that the tracker follows the movement of the sun perfectly. You can use a DC loss to account for tracking error. This article discusses tracking error:

K. Anderson, C. Downs, S. Aneja and M. Muller, " A Method for Estimating Time-Series PV Production Loss From Solar Tracking Failures ," in IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 119-126, Jan. 2022.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Anh
  • Topic Author
More
06 Feb 2024 14:11 #12871 by Anh
Replied by Anh on topic Power consumption of solar tracker
hi Paul, Thanks for your information.

Moderators: Paul Gilman