Downloading Wave Data

• Kyle Wilson
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2024 13:22 #12857 by Kyle Wilson
Downloading Wave Data was created by Kyle Wilson
   I  am having a bit of bother with the proccess of downloading data from a specfied location for Wave data from around the UK and i need help in getting the data to show correclty. i have downloaded Relevant CSVs from Wavnet.Cefas.co.uk but when i have tried to download them into the library they dont appear on the wave energy resource library. I am doing this for a final year thesis for my Degree and any help on how  to or where i have went wrong is greatly appreciated ?  

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
29 Jan 2024 16:30 #12858 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Downloading Wave Data
Hi Kyle,

It looks like you may have created the folder "C:\SAM\2017.12.17\TESTData" to store your wave data files. I would recommend storing that folder outside of the SAM installation folder so you don't lose the data if you remove or uninstall SAM. Use the Add/remove weather file folders button to add that folder to the list SAM scans for valid weather files.

Please see the CSV Format for Marine Energy topic in Help (under "Weather File Formats") for a description wave energy resource data file format. There are two formats: One for frequency of occurrence data, and one for time series data: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/weather_format_csv_marine_energy.html.

If your file is not in the correct format or contains invalid data, SAM will not add it to the Wave Energy Resource library, even if the file is in the correct folder.

If you continue to have trouble and would like me to help troubleshoot, please attach a copy of your wave data file.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Kyle Wilson
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2024 13:36 #12893 by Kyle Wilson
Replied by Kyle Wilson on topic Downloading Wave Data
Hi, Paul 

As someone who is new to this enviroment i am unsure how i can format the CSV to the relevant format as indicate. would you be at all possible to help me with this ? 

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Feb 2024 00:33 #12894 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Downloading Wave Data
Hi Kyle,

Please attach an example of a wave resource file that you would like to use with SAM, and I'll take a look and see if I can help.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Kyle Wilson
  • Topic Author
More
18 Feb 2024 14:22 #12899 by Kyle Wilson
Replied by Kyle Wilson on topic Downloading Wave Data
Hi there, Thank you for the reply, the issue is that I am trying to use the data from the Cefas and use it into SAM. However, the data is streuctured as follows: Time (GMT)Significant wave height (Hm0) (m)Temperature (°C)Dominant (peak) wave period (s)Average (zero crossing) wave period (s)Dominant (peak) wave direction (degrees)Wave spread (degrees) 

File Attachment:

File Name: moray-firt...site.csv
File Size:716 KB

but I think the SAM input files that I have are requiring the "Energy Period" parameter as below:YearMonthDayHourMinuteSignificant Wave HeightEnergy Period

So is there a way to calculate the Energy period of the parameters given in the Cefas file? or for SAM input to take all these parameters into account?Thanks in advance.Kyle

File Attachment:

File Name: moray-firt...site.csv
File Size:716 KB
Attachments:

Moderators: Paul Gilman