Ancillary service market, Primary regulation of frequency, Modeling

• Paul Quintanilla Aldama
  • Topic Author
More
18 Dec 2023 23:59 #12760 by Paul Quintanilla Aldama
Hello everyone,
I’m interested in understanding if it’s possible to model the use of batteries for ancillary services in a system, specifically for primary frequency regulation. I would appreciate it if we could calculate the State of Charge (SOC) and State of Health (SOH) of the batteries. This would allow us to integrate the batteries into the system and regulate the primary frequency. This is for a business case.”I'll appreciate a lot your assistance. 
Thanks in advance
 Paúl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Dec 2023 23:36 #12769 by Paul Gilman
Hi Paúl,

SAM is a time series simulation model that works with power. It does not model frequency. However, you could model a battery application intended to provide ancillary service for frequency regulation. SAM's battery model reports the battery state of charge (SOC) and relative capacity to nameplate, which is a measure of the battery's health.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Topic Author
More
04 Jan 2024 22:04 #12802 by Paul Quintanilla Aldama
Replied by Paul Quintanilla Aldama on topic Ancillary service market, Primary regulation of frequency, Modeling
Hi Paul,

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I was precisely referring to the application of installing batteries to regulate the frequency from the stored energy. Is there any video on the website that can guide me in sizing this type of application? Thanks in advance for the answer.

• Paul Gilman
More
05 Jan 2024 03:24 #12803 by Paul Gilman
Hi Paul,

We don't have any information about sizing batteries for frequency regulation on the SAM website.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Topic Author
More
09 Jan 2024 13:44 #12813 by Paul Quintanilla Aldama
Replied by Paul Quintanilla Aldama on topic Ancillary service market, Primary regulation of frequency, Modeling
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

BR
Paúl

Moderators: Paul Gilman