exec fail(trough_physical): C_csp_trough_collector::on(...) COMPONENT defocus fa

• Brian
  • Topic Author
More
07 Dec 2023 14:21 #12740 by Brian
Hello,

Please see full error message below. Attached you will also find a copy of my .sam file.

I am having trouble with a defocus failed error. I have tried adjusting solar multiple as well as the partial defocusing option and am still getting error. What other parameters could cause this error.

Thank yall so very much!
Brian

exec fail(trough_physical): C_csp_trough_collector::on(...) COMPONENT defocus failed.
Simulation trough_physical failed :exec fail(trough_physical): C_csp_trough_collector::on(...) COMPONENT defocus failed.
gen not assigned
Simulation grid failed :gen not assigned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
11 Dec 2023 22:57 - 11 Dec 2023 22:58 #12747 by Paul Gilman
Hi Brian,

Your file has two cases, and I'm not sure which one you are having trouble with. When I run a simulation for the first case, I see an error about the HTF hot temperature input:

The design HTF hot temperature 120 [C] is colder than then the design point boiling temperature 310.997 [C] corresponding to the hardcoded design point boiler pressure 100 [bar]
The inlet HTF temperature is colder than the DESIGN boiler temperature.
exec fail(trough_physical): Off design heat exchanger failed
Simulation trough_physical failed :Piping geometry file

Maximum fluid velocity: 1.91
Minimum fluid velocity: 0.30

To section 1 header pipe diameter: 0.0688 m (2.71 in)
To section 2 header pipe diameter: 0.0688 m (2.71 in)
Loop No. | Diameter [m] | Diameter [in] | Diam. ID
--------------------------------------------------
     1   |    0.0499    |    1.9646     |   1
     2   |    0.1082    |    4.2600     |   1

gen not assigned
Simulation grid failed :gen not assigned

Please make sure you are using the latest version of SAM (2022.11.21) if you aren't seeing that message.

The "design HTF temperature" is the Loop outlet HTF temperature input on the System Design page, so you might try setting it to a value greater than 310 degrees Celsius.

The linear Fresnel direct steam model has a set of default inputs for steam HTF in the solar field -- you could use that as a model for the inputs to your model. You might also set the hours of storage to zero to disable the storage model.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2023 22:58 by Paul Gilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman