Error Message Financial Parameters IPH Trough, LCOH Calc + Molten Salt. SAM 2022

• JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
  • Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2023 12:35 #12662 by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
Dear Paul,
When running Parametrics on my IPH Trough, LCOH Calc Model, I am having the following message time after time: 

SSC requires input 'annual_electricity_consumption', but was not found in the SAM UI or from previous simulations
Simulation iph_to_lcoefcr failed :precheck input: variable 'annual_electricity_consumption' (Annual electricity consumption with avail derate) required but not assigned
SSC requires input 'annual_energy', but was not found in the SAM UI or from previous simulations
Simulation lcoefcr failed :precheck input: variable 'annual_energy' (Annual energy production) required but not assigned.

I have reviewed the Financial Parameters in my model many times, but I cannot find where or how to introduce these 'annual_electricity_consumption' and 'annual_energy'. I would appreciate it if you could help me solve this issue.
If these values have to be entered manually, could you please tell me how they can be calculated or which are the default values to use as a reference? So far, I suppose my LCOE / LCOH results are miscalculated. 
Is there any video or resource to guide me through the financial analysis? I have been having this issue for weeks, and I need to deliver results as soon as possible. 
Thanks in advance for your kind attention. Best regards, 
Julian Prieto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
20 Nov 2023 16:57 #12665 by Paul Gilman
Hi Julian,

Those variables are outputs of the performance model that are also inputs to the financial model. The errors indicate that the performance model simulation failed.

In the file you attached, the "IPH Trough Barranca MS 31Oct23" case has parametric simulations set up for a range of target solar multiples between 1.5 and 4. Runs 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 generate errors, but Run 2 does not. The "IPH Trough Cartagena MS 06Nov23" parametric runs for a range of collector tilt angles do not generate any errors.

To investigate, I tried setting the Target Solar Multiple value on the System Design page to 1.5 and clicking Simulate. That generates a more detailed simulation message about defocus and fluid velocity.

Some suggestions for resolving the issue:
  • On the System Design page, set the Design Point DNI to 850 W/m2 instead of 400. This is closer to the maximum DNI (beam irradiance) value in the weather file.
  • On the Solar Field page, try increasing the Max Single Loop Flow Rate to 15 kg/s and using 8 SCA/HCE assemblies per loop instead of 6.
You might also use the default values of inputs for the Linear Fresnel Molten Salt and Parabolic Trough - Physical models as a guide for choosing values for your system.

Best regards,
Paul.

• JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
  • Topic Author
More
23 Nov 2023 09:51 #12674 by JULIAN IGNACIO PRIETO PRIETO
Dear Paul. 
Thanks again for your help on this subject. I have adjusted the Max Single Loop Flow Rate to 15Kg/s, and used 8 SCA / HCE per loop per your recommendation. Changes in the Desing Point DNI were unsuccessful since increasing the number above 400 was detrimental to the Capacity Factor and the LCOE. (See the reasoning behind the selected value In the attached PDF file).

Nevertheless, I may have gotten a completely successful simulation with no error messages after different trials and parametric runs. I want to be sure since I must deliver results very soon. I would appreciate your cross-checking the results of the IPH Trough Barranca MS 23Nov23 case inside.
I have included the SAM file and a PDF file explaining what I have done so far. 

I may also need your guidance on the procedure to obtain the complete Financial reporting and results from the simulation to support my design choices. 

Thanks and best regards,

Julian Prieto

Moderators: Paul Gilman