Designing a battery for a PV system

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2023 18:02 #12536 by Paul Gilman
Designing a battery for a PV system was created by Paul Gilman
Hi MikeB,

You could use the REopt sizing and dispatch option on the Battery Cell and System page. That option sends inputs from your SAM file to the REopt API and returns a suggested battery capacity and dispatch time series array based on its optimization algorithm.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MikeB
More
10 Oct 2023 19:13 #12541 by MikeB
Replied by MikeB on topic Designing a battery for a PV system
Hi Paul,

thank you for the reply. Should I select a new project under Energy Storage ->Detailed PV-Battery, ->Generic System-Battery or ->Standalone Battery?

I would like to design a battery for the existing PV system with the known PV profile and the load profile as shown here: ibb.co/H70djjZ

If I can load the PV profile, I think the next steps are straightforward. This is the Behind the Meter application. So in the battery System option, I would select the Manual Dispatch option and set "Charge from the system" for all periods, "Change from grid" during low rate periods and "Discharge to load" for all periods. as shown here in this video .
Attachments:

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
13 Oct 2023 22:34 #12553 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Designing a battery for a PV system
Hi Mike,

If you have time series AC production data (hourly or subhourly for one complete year from January to December), you could use the Generic System-Battery / Commercial Owner configuration to model a battery that dispatches in response to the existing PV system's output.

Then, on the Power Plant page, you can import the PV generation data, and set the nameplate capacity inputs:

See the Power Plant page's Help topic for additional details.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman