UAE and US (built in SAM profile) based PV performance & Economic Analysis Issue

• faizan.tahir@nyu.edu
  • Topic Author
More
22 Aug 2023 12:53 #12447 by faizan.tahir@nyu.edu
Hi Dear,
Hope you are fine.
Actually, I am performing performance and economic analysis for 10 MW PV plant using UAE weather data. However, when I simulate it its Net Present Value is always in negative but for similar 10 MW (built-in) USA weather based data, NPV is positive.
For both of above projects UAE based and USA based 10 MW solar PV project, all the settings/inputs are similar like number of inverters, modules etc. The only thing I change is to enter the coordinates of UAE in location tab to enter UAE location and its NPV turns out to be negative but for USA based location, its always positive. (and there is a much difference between these two values)
Can you help me rectify the issue, I think it might be something wrong when we load the UAE weather data?
Hope to hearing from you soon.
Best Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
22 Aug 2023 23:48 #12451 by pgilman
Hi Muhammad Faizan Tahir,

There must be something about the weather data that is causing this difference. Please attach a copy of the .sam file and the two weather files you are using (US and UAE) if you would like me to help troubleshoot.

Best regards,
Paul.

• faizan.tahir@nyu.edu
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2023 08:35 #12452 by faizan.tahir@nyu.edu
Please find the attached files of SAM of Phoenix, US and UAE.
Phoenix file is the built in one in library while UAE weather data is incorporated by typing "United Arab Emirates" in weather file section.

• pgilman
More
25 Aug 2023 23:53 #12460 by pgilman
Hello,

Thank you for sending the files.

Attached is a file I created from your files to make it easier to compare. You can use the File -> Inputs Browser command to compare the inputs between the two cases.

The system in Phoenix produces about 12% more electricity in year 1 than the system in UAE because of the difference in solar resource. Note that the Phoenix weather file has 60-minute TMY data representing the historical period between 1998 and 2020. The UAE file has 30-minute data for 2019.

The NPV for the Phoenix system is about $7.4 million, compared to a net capital cost of about $114 million. This is relatively close to NPV=0, or the break-even point for the project. The NPV for the UAE is about $-3.2 million compared to a net capital cost of $113 million. This NPV is negative, but it is not very negative. Both projects are relatively close to the breakeven point.

Note that both projects have the same total installed cost of $106.5 million. The net capital cost is different for the two projects because of the size of debt: For the DSCR debt sizing option on the Financial Parameters page, SAM calculates the size of debt based on the revenue available for debt service. Because the Phoenix system generates slightly more electricity, it earns slightly more revenue, and therefore has more cash available for debt service, causing the size of debt to be higher.

Best regards,
Paul.

• faizan.tahir@nyu.edu
  • Topic Author
More
28 Aug 2023 06:58 #12462 by faizan.tahir@nyu.edu
Thank you so much Paul for a detailed answer and helping me out.

One thing I want to clarify is if we change the orientation from fixed to 1-axis or 2-axis, should the installation costs increase, if yes SAM does do that by itself or do we have to do it manually?

Best Regards

• pgilman
More
29 Aug 2023 02:10 #12463 by pgilman
SAM does not change inputs on the Installation Costs or Operating Costs pages when you change parameters on the System Design page. Whenever you change an input, you have change any dependent inputs yourself. This is true for most inputs, for example, changing the weather file on the Location and Resource page does not change inputs on the costs pages or the Incentives page.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman