Battery charges less than it discharges over certain months

• rholden03
  • Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2023 12:56 - 17 Aug 2023 23:03 #12430 by rholden03
I modeled a solar plus battery using Detailed PV-Battery and discovered unexpected behavior during the months of April through September, as shown in the table below (see hour 6).  This table displays average MW of charge (negative numbers) and discharge (positive numbers).  During these months in hour 6, the average charge for hour 6 falls, resulting in a lower average charge for the month than for other months, however, the discharge remains unchanged.  This design is a 4,400kW/8,800kWh battery.  The problem was worse when I designed a 9,900kW/19,800kWh battery, as some of these months actually discharged more power than they had as available charge.  My settings for these designs are LFP/Graphite battery type, min/max state of charge 20%/95%, and Manual Dispatch.  Is this an error that I am creating somewhere, or is it in SAM?  Thanks for any help.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2023 23:03 by pgilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
17 Aug 2023 23:16 #12431 by pgilman
Hi Ryk,

Please attach a copy of the .sam file that generates these results if you would like my help sorting this out.

Best regards,
Paul.

• rholden03
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2023 10:59 #12439 by rholden03
Paul, thank you so much for timely reaching out.  After posting this I made one more check of my math and discovered errors in my calculations after downloading from SAM.  I have corrected them and they are now working fine.

Moderators: pgilman