Modelling Standalone battery as Electric Vehicle

• msohebzaidi
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2023 12:43 #12300 by msohebzaidi
Hello Paul, 
Hope you are well, I just wanted to ask if there is way to model a EV Battery in SAM to extract the revenue it generates and how much energy is exported/imported to the grid from it. I was potentially thinking of fiddling with the SA BESS model, but if you can guide to execute this in a better way in SAM that would be great!

I am looking for Residential EV for simplicity sake.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
10 Jul 2023 15:16 #12302 by pgilman
Hi Soheb,

SAM does not have an explicit electric vehicle (EV) model, but there are a couple of ways you can model an EV.

The first is to represent EV battery charging as a load (on the Electric Load page for the Residential financial model). That requires creating a time series load profile that includes both the building and EV's electricity usage. In this case, the EV battery charges at home, but is not discharged to meet the house's electrical load.

The second approach is to model the EV's battery using SAM's battery model, assuming the EV battery is allowed to charge and discharge to minimize the system owner's monthly electricity bill. You could use the manual dispatch option on the Battery Dispatch page to control when the EV battery is allowed to charge and discharge, and to ensure that the battery is charged as needed for EV driving needs.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman