Electric Thermal Energy Storage - Dispatch Regime

• NREL1984
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2023 06:25 #12217 by NREL1984
Hi All,

I am trying to model a Electric Thermal Energy Storage plant at specific dispatch times. After running through the inputs it seems that it is not possible to create a manual dispatch routine. Would appreciate guidance on how to configure such an capability.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
14 Jun 2023 18:16 #12229 by pgilman
Hi Arno,

SAM's Electric Thermal Energy Storage (ETES) model does not have a manual dispatch option. Can you tell us more about the application you would like to model?

Best regards,
Paul.

• NREL1984
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2023 13:12 #12234 by NREL1984
Hi Paul, 

Thank you for your reply. After some difficulty, I managed to produce the dispatch profile that I require. The process involved manipulating the revenue prices to force SAM to draw electricity for heating during periods when energy cost was cheap and vice versa for dispatch. 

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Arno

• pgilman
More
15 Jun 2023 20:09 - 15 Jun 2023 21:30 #12235 by pgilman
Hi Arno,

Good to know.

For ETES, when you run a simulation without enabling dispatch optimization, the plant controller determines operation based on the value of the PPA multiplier at that time step. If the multiplier is < 1, then the plant charges if TES can accept the energy. If the multiplier is > 1, then the plant discharges if TES has available energy. The price multipliers act like an on/off switch, they do not allow you to charge or discharge at part load.

For more about SAM's ETES model, see the publications listed under "Electric Thermal Energy Storage (ETES)" on the CSP Publications page , including the following paper on ETES dispatch optimization:

Hamilton, W.; Neises, T. (2023) Dispatch optimization of electric thermal energy storage within System Advisor Model . Journal of Energy Storage, Vol 61, May 2023.

Best regards,
Paul.

Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 21:30 by pgilman.

Moderators: pgilman