Please send me Charts for "sam_mw_pt_TYPE234" Balance Of Plant Performance Maps

• luiscoco
  • Topic Author
More
22 Feb 2013 21:15 #1358 by luiscoco

Dear Sirs,

I have been reviewing file "sam_mw_pt_TYPE234" fortran code, and I would like to know if you can send me any charts representing Balance of Plant Performance Maps (power output and heat output depending on condenser pressure, mass flow, and temperature) to calculate thermososlar Fresnel Power Plant TYPE 261 Off-Design conditions, and Design Point condition considered for Fresnel Novate Boiler example.

Are the Performance Maps information contanined in that fortran file ("sam_mw_pt_TYPE234") and integrated in Fresnel Thermal Power Plants simulation the same information as considered for Technical Manual for the SAM Physical Trough Model, and for TYPE 224 for Solar Power Tower Rankine Component?. The Design Point for 10 Mwe power plant SAM manual attached.

Best Regars LUIS COCO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Apr 2013 15:45 #1359 by Paul Gilman
Dear Luis,

Sorry for the slow response on this question. Please download this set of files ( ZIP 617 KB ), which supplement the description of the power cycle model in the Physical Trough Reference manual, and should address your question about the power cycle performance under off-design conditions. SAM uses implementations of the same power cycle model for the following CSP models:

* Physical Trough
* Power Tower Molten Salt
* Power Tower Direct Steam
* Linear Fresnel

(The CSP generic solar system and empirical trough models use a different model for the power cycle that is based on polynomial equations that require empirically-derived coefficients to describe the off-design performance of the power cycle.)

Best regards,
Paul.

• luiscoco
  • Topic Author
More
16 Apr 2013 21:33 #1360 by luiscoco

Thank you very much for yor clarification notes I will review them in depth and if araises any question I will submit. Congratulations and thank you very much from Spain for your great work programming SAM.

I am validating SAM against THERMOFLOW for an annual simulation in a Linear Fresnel Solar Power Plant(50Mwe),
results obtained show small deviations. The method proposed by Michael J. Wagner and Paul Gilman save a lot of computation time for solving annual simulations.

I am also a C# programmer, and I would like to propose you to develop a Debugger for SAM fortran code in run time as a software option, to avoid a "black box code". It would be very useful to be able to change Fortran files and compile again in SAM. I donĀ“t know the way, could you help me in this way?. For example I would like to include small improvements in Fresnel modelisation fortran file and run it again in SAM. I know you are developing SDK, I checked it and works perfect the C# sample code, but Fresnel, PTC and Central Tower are not yet available, sure in future.

I supposed in the near future based on Madison University studies, SAM will include Supercritical CO2 Brayton power cycle modelisation, and also as HTF in Solar Fields. It would be very useful to interface REFPROP(NIST, www.nist.gov) from SAM as well. Other HTF fluids as SF6 and mixtures with S-CO2 ,butene, etc were sucessful tested in Sandia National Lab.

Thank you very much for your help.

• Paul Gilman
More
17 Apr 2013 15:37 #1361 by Paul Gilman
Dear Luis,

Thank you for the feedback. I will share your suggestions for modeling a Brayton cycle and linking to the REFPROP database. Because the database is not free, I don't think we can directly link to it from SAM, but perhaps we could include some instructions for how to work with data from the database in SAM.

Would you be willing to share the results of your validation work with the SAM team or with other SAM users? Please contact me using the SAM support mailbox if you prefer not to share it on the support forum.

It is not possible to modify the algorithms in SAM's simulation modules, either by changing code in the FORTRAN source code files included with SAM, or using the SAM Software Development Kit (SDK) . The application programming interface (API) in the SDK allows you to set the values of inputs and read outputs from the simulation modules, but not to modify the code in a module.

We provide the FORTRAN source code files with SAM to supplement the manuals and other documentation for people who want to understand the simulation algorithms. SAM's simulation engine is precompiled, so you cannot change it by modifying the FORTRAN files.

The exception to this is for people who have purchased and installed the TRNSYS simulation platform. The SAM CSP models run TRNSYS in the background to generate performance model outputs. If you have a copy of TRNSYS, you can use and modify the FORTRAN files provided with SAM to build a simulation model in TRNSYS. Or, you can modify the simulation modules in TRNSYS and use them in SAM, as described briefly in the SAM Help system .

We are migrating SAM's performance models away from TRNSYS to the SAM simulation core (SSC), which you can access through the API included with the SDK. For now, only the photovoltaic, wind, geothermal, and solar water heating performance models use SSC, so they are the only performance models accessible through the API. (All of SAM's financial models use the SSC, so they are accessible through the API.) In the next one or two versions of SAM, all of the performance models will use SSC instead of TRNSYS.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman