Questions about Parabolic Trough Collectors

• Abdulbaset
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2023 17:16 #12130 by Abdulbaset
Greetings, 

I am designing a Solar Industrial Process Heat system using Parabolic Trough Collectors. The system includes a solar collector field and one heat exchanger to transfer the thermal heat to my process. I have some general questions: 
1) The installation cost of the collectors is shown in this report at $170/m2. Is this only for SkyTrough? because I am using the Eurotrough ET150. Also, is this price valid until 2023, or is there an update? 
2) In the PTC field, should there be a pump to pump the fluid through the tube? If yes, does the installation cost above include this pump? 
3) How much should the site improvement cost be? Is it always $30/m2?

Best,
AB,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
09 May 2023 17:49 #12131 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Questions about Parabolic Trough Collectors
Hi AB,

SAM's default costs are just a starting point for your analysis. You should do your own research to determine what cost inputs are appropriate for your work. SAM does not automatically change the costs when you change components. For information about the default costs for CSP models in SAM, see sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-cost-data.html.

You should include the cost for all necessary equipment for your design. The default costs are appropriate for the default system design, but if you change the design, you'll also need to change the costs as needed.

The site improvement cost depends on the terrain, and equipment and labor costs for preparing the terrain for the installation.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman