Molten Salt Power Tower project. Value of cycle thermal efficiency

• JavierTL
  • Topic Author
More
05 May 2023 13:49 #12116 by JavierTL
Hi,I'm a Spanish student of energy engineering, and I'm using the SAM software (version 2022.11.21). I have some doubts regarding a parameter for a Molten Salt Power Tower project:
  • Is the "cycle thermal efficiency" specified in SAM gross or net (with or without auxiliary electrical consumption)?
  • Should the mechanical shaft losses of the steam turbine and the losses of the electrical generator be included in the value of cycle thermal efficiency?
  • Should the steam generator efficiency be included in the value of cycle thermal efficiency?
Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,

Javier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
05 May 2023 17:23 #12117 by pgilman
Hi Javier,

The cycle thermal efficiency input on the System Design page is a nominal value that determines the cycle's nominal power rating (cycle thermal power on the System Design page) for cost and sizing calculations.

The nominal cycle thermal power is the design turbine gross output divided by the cycle thermal efficiency, so it does not include electric losses between the turbine output and the grid interconnection point.

All losses within the power cycle should be included in the cycle thermal efficiency as it represents the thermal-to-electric efficiency of the cycle at design conditions.

Best regards,
Paul.

• JavierTL
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2023 16:59 #12122 by JavierTL
You have cleared up my doubt. Thank you!

Moderators: pgilman