Estimating Nameplate capacity and Production Estimates based off Size of Site

• EzrajJones
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2023 00:51 #11913 by EzrajJones
Hello, 

I'm attempting to estimate the potential production of 28 sites in northern Nevada based off of their size and the SAM Weather/Resource data. The only inputs that drive this study are the acres of the sites and their actual location. My hope is to utilize defaults for all other inputs. Is there a way to input acres and have production estimates as an output or a standard nameplate capacity that I can use to make such estimates? I'd even be open to a calculation that I can use to estimate nameplate capacity to then use in PVWatts?

Any help is greatly appreciated, 
-Ezra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
13 Feb 2023 23:44 - 16 Feb 2023 18:37 #11922 by pgilman
Hi Ezra,

For the PVWatts model, you can specify the system's nameplate capacity in kWdc of PV array capacity.

For the Detailed PV model, you have to specify the number of modules per string and strings in parallel, but there is an option on the System Design page to have SAM attempt to calculate those for you based on a desired kWdc value that you enter.

SAM does not have an input to size the system given an available area value. SAM does display a land area estimate for the kWdc capacity you enter (both PVWatts and Detailed PV model).

The easiest approach might be to use an estimate of land area required per MW. I don't have a value to recommend, but there are online discussions and publications ( including this 2013 study from NREL ) that might help.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2023 18:37 by pgilman.

• EzrajJones
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2023 20:57 #11933 by EzrajJones
Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your response. I was able to estimate the Nameplate capacity using some average values from the 2013 NREL article and get production and profit estimates from that. 

-Ezra

Moderators: pgilman