pressure drop adjustment in IPH linear steam model

• nergicege
  • Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2023 22:56 #11912 by nergicege
Hello,

I am running an IPH linear (steam) simulation and I need to do a scale-up of the system for comparison purposes. For example, my basic module has a capacity of 53 kWt and I would like to see what the timeseries of the system generation would look like for 500 kWt, 1 MWt, 2 MWt and 5 MWt and what the impact would be on other parameters.

I just watched Paul's 2017 webinar called Solar Industrial Process Heat in SAM 2017.1.17 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6rZrfqdwuk

where he mentions that in the IPH model, the pressure drop values must be adjusted when the number of loops is changed because SAM doesn't do that automatically. I was wondering if the same should be applied for a change in the number of modules and if so, how?

n my model for a scale-up I change the "Heat sink power" parameter in the System Design tab (i.e from 53 kWt to 500 kWt) and then change the number of 53 kWt modules that it will take to provide the Heat sink power, in this case approximately 10. But by doing it this way, nothing else changes.  I was wondering if there are other crucial parameters like pressure drop that I overlooked and should modify so that the scale-up stays as realistic as possible.

I have included a document with screenshots of the relevant simulation tabs and variables that I have modified for the scale-up, which are circled in red to illustrate what I was trying to say.

Best regards,
Ege 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman