PV System with Multiple Inverters

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2013 20:02 #1322 by Paul Gilman
PV System with Multiple Inverters was created by Paul Gilman
Can you enter multiple inverters of different sizes into the same project?

SAM's flat plate PV model does not allow you to model a system with different types or sizes of inverters in a single case.

However, you might be able to use the multiple subsystems option to model your system as a combination of subsystems. That would work if each size of inverter were connected to a separate array. To do that, you would create a case for each size of inverter, specify the array layout and other inputs for each case, and then combine the cases into a single system using the multiple subsystem inputs.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Drumsing
More
15 Feb 2013 20:43 #1323 by Drumsing
Replied by Drumsing on topic PV System with Multiple Inverters
Ive encountered the same insufficiency. We model several systems with various or multiple identical inverters. I hope that SAM's flat plate model will evolve to allow for the input of more complex and realistic scenarios.

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2013 00:07 #1324 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic PV System with Multiple Inverters
To be clear, SAM's flat plate PV model can model systems with multiple identical inverters. It cannot model systems that combine different sizes or types of inverters without using the Multiple Subsystems option.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Hennie
More
06 Dec 2014 21:36 #1325 by Hennie
Replied by Hennie on topic PV System with Multiple Inverters
Dear Paul and NREL Team,
Thank you for an amazing simulation tool.
I'm trying to run a simulation with your latest SAM 2014.11.24 with multiple subsystems. However, I cannot find any reference to base case vs. combined case? I'm using the "No financial Model" to test the yield with the case study done for the SunEdison SOLON Black rooftop at your NREL Research Support Facility (2011-6-30), comprising of two subsystems, RSF1 North and South.
I could combine them in Excel, post simulation, but hoping there is an easier way?

Kind Regards,
Hennie

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
08 Dec 2014 21:08 #1326 by Paul Gilman
Dear Hennie,

As I write this response, a colleague is developing a macro to replicate a capability similar to the "Multiple Subsystems" option available in SAM 2014.1.14 and older. That macro should be available in the next week or so. I will post instructions here when it is available.

Would you be willing to help test a pre-release version of the macro? If so, let me know and I will send it to you when it is ready -- probably by the end of today (U.S. Mountain time).

Best regards,
Paul.

• Paul Gilman
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jan 2015 22:57 - 18 May 2023 15:25 #1327 by Paul Gilman
Hello,

UPDATE: As of SAM 2021.12.02, the Combine Cases macro is replaced by the Calculate generation profiles and namelpate capacity from open cases option on the Power Plant page for the Generic System model and Generic Battery model. See the SAM YouTube channel for a short tutorial .

The combine cases macro ( LK 10 KB ) is available for testing. To use the Macro, download the LK file and put it in macros folder in your SAM installation. In Windows, the folder is C:\SAM\2014.11.24\runtime\macros. In OS X, the folder is in the SAM package (control-click and then choose Open Package to see its contents).

Once you've copied the macro to the folder, when you start SAM, click Macros, and you should see "Combine Cases" in the list of available macros. Try it out and let us know if you have any suggestions for improving it (or questions about how to use it).

Thank you!

Best regards,

Paul.
Last edit: 18 May 2023 15:25 by Paul Gilman.

Moderators: Paul Gilman