Generic Solar System. Solar field thermal output

• Pierre
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2013 16:51 #1307 by Pierre
Dear Paul,

I wanted to ask you about "Generic Solar System".
Could you confirm to me that this draw is correct?

I have been working with "Linear Fresnel", too.

Could you confirm to me the next sentences:

1) "Solar field thermal output" (from "Generic Solar System") = "Total power incident on the field" (from "Linear Fresnel").

2) "Total receiver thermal losses" (from "Linear Fresnel"). These losses are considered with other parameters in "Solar field thermal losses" (from "Generic Solar System").

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
22 Feb 2013 18:29 #1308 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Generic Solar System. Solar field thermal output
Dear Pierre,

1. You are correct: For the Generic Solar System model, the Solar Field Thermal Output variable should be labelled as "Solar Field Incident Thermal Power." We will correct this in the next version of SAM.

2. For the Generic Solar System model, SAM calculates and reports the total solar field thermal losses based on the "Generalized Thermal Losses" parameters you specify on the Solar Field page. It does not calculate separate receiver losses as the linear Fresnel and trough models do.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Pierre
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2013 16:42 #1309 by Pierre
Dear Paul,

I have a new question about the losses.

I have seen that in SAM, it has been considered the "Solar field thermal losses" before the "Solar field optical efficiency".

Firstly, SAM would not have to to consider this efficiency applied to the energy incident. And after that, SAM would have in consideration the "solar field thermal losses"?

Thanks in advance.

• Paul Gilman
More
25 Feb 2013 18:33 #1310 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Generic Solar System. Solar field thermal output
Dear Pierre,

Can you be more precise about where you have seen that SAM calculates the solar field thermal losses before the optical efficiency? As you know, there are seven different CSP performance models available in SAM, and I am not sure whether your question applies to a single CSP model or to all of them.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Pierre
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2013 09:23 #1311 by Pierre
Dear Paul,

I am sorry Paul. I am working with Generic Solar System in 2013.1.15 version.
I have seen that this equation has been applied every hour:

[("Solar field thermal output")-("Solar field thermal losses")]*("Solar field optical efficiency")= ("Solar field delivered thermal power")

For this reason, I have said that I think that "solar field thermal losses" have been considered before the "solar field optical efficiency". Is it correct? Why?

Thanks in advance

• Paul Gilman
More
26 Feb 2013 17:12 #1312 by Paul Gilman
Dear Pierre,

Thank you for the clarification.

There is an error in the labeling of results for the Generic Solar System model. "Solar Field Thermal Output" should be "Solar Field Incident Thermal Power."

The label will be correct in the next update to SAM 2013.1.15.

Sorry about that!

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman