Fossil fuel backup system with linear Fresnel reflector

• Ahmed Aljudaya
  • Topic Author
More
15 Nov 2022 15:14 #11692 by Ahmed Aljudaya
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your constant encouragement and response.

I'm simulating the LFR with a fossil fuel backup system, but I have two questions:
1- Unlike PTC and SPT, I was unable to locate a source for estimating direct costs.
Could you please assist me in locating a reliable source or a reasonable number for (Fossil fuel installation cost ($/kWe) that I can use?
2- What does it mean that I'm using fossil heating mode for HTF freaze protection? because no fossil fuels are used in the hourly results and some electricity is still drawn from the grid!

Thank you once more,

File Attachment:

File Name: Saudi Citi...stem.sam
File Size:1,231 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Neom.xlsx
File Size:249 KB

Ahmed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
15 Nov 2022 17:08 #11693 by Paul Gilman
Hi Ahmed,

I do not have sources of cost data for CSP systems aside from the resources listed here:

sam.nrel.gov/concentrating-solar-power/csp-cost-data

For the linear Fresnel molten salt model, when you choose fossil heating for the HTF freeze protection mode,  the "Parasitic thermal TES freeze protection (MWt)" reported in the hourly results is power provided by the fossil backup system.

The system may use power from the grid for other parasitic loads, including freeze protection for the solar field, which is determined by the freeze point heat trace activation temperature input on the Solar Field page.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman