CSP Parabolic Trough Physical - Field Collector Optical Efficiency

• Javier Pastoriza
  • Topic Author
More
09 Nov 2022 12:23 #11669 by Javier Pastoriza
Dear Paul:

The variable "Field Collector Optical Efficiency" reported as output cannot be replicated applying Eq.2.43 of the Technical Manual for the SAM Physical Trough Model using as terms of the equation the arrays reported as outputs of the simulation (end loss*shadow*IAM *tracking*geometry*reflectance*soiling*general efficiencies). Adding cosine efficiency to the product does not solve the issue neither. The reported "Field Collector Optical Efficiency" is lower than the value one can applying Eq.2.43. See attachment please (columns S & T in particular)

Is a different formulation actually implemented in the code? If that is the case, how does it look like?

Thanks for your support.

Javier Pastoriza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Javier Pastoriza
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2022 14:50 #11677 by Javier Pastoriza
Hi Paul:

I managed to verify that the field optical efficiency is implemented as follows on SAM 2021.12.2: "Field Optical Efficiency Before Defocus" = End Loss * Row Shadowing * IAM * Tracking * Geometry * Reflectance * Dir on Mirror * General Optic Error * Bellows Shadowing * Dirt on Receiver * Envelope Transmittance * Absorber Absorptance * Deploy/Stow Time Fraction. 

The formulation is now clear to me so I think we can close this topic. Thanks a lot in case you already dedicated some time to this query.

Javier Pastoriza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman