azimuth-by-altitude table: where to enter values for plain north?

• Mirko Dudas
  • Topic Author
More
01 Nov 2022 07:09 #11627 by Mirko Dudas
Hi there,
I am a little confused with the design of the azimuth-by-altitude table. The example table in SAM starts with azimuth = 20 and then goes up to 340 in 20 degree increments.So where does SAM get the values for 0 degrees azimuth, plain north, here?Assuming I stick with 20 degree increments, can I start the second column with azimuth = 0 and end with azimuth = 340? Or should I start with azimuth = 20 and then end with azimuth = 360?What is the best procedure here to ensure that the values are calculated correctly?Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
01 Nov 2022 23:25 #11630 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mirko,

SAM uses this type of table for a few different models, so I'm not sure which one you are referring to.

In general, the models interpolate to calculate values that are not explicitly provided in these tables.

You can also edit the row and column heading values by double-clicking the value if you have data for different ranges of azimuth and altitude values, or use the Import and Export buttons to modify the data in a spreadsheet program or text editor.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Mirko Dudas
  • Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2022 17:57 #11656 by Mirko Dudas
Hi Paul,thank you for your answer. I forgot to attach a screenshot that may explain my question.I assume that with the example table (see attachement) SAM will interpolate the values for azimuth = 0 between the values for 20° and 340°.I'm working on a solar module geometry that needs distinct shading values for plain north (azimuth = 0), so I need to add a "0°-column" (or maybe a 360°-column?). Will SAM accept a 0°-column let's say as second column in the table, right after the values for sun height? Or is it more difficult?Just wanted to make sure that I don't generate shading tables that don't work correctly.Greetings from MunichMirko

Attachments:

• Paul Gilman
More
04 Nov 2022 20:59 #11657 by Paul Gilman
Hi Mirko,

You should be able to add columns to the table by changing Number of azimuth values (columns). Click Help in the Edit Shading Data window for a description of the tables. Valid values for the column headings are between 0 and 360 degrees, and should increase from left to right.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman