CSP systems - condenser calculations

• emiliano casati
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2013 13:09 #1296 by emiliano casati
CSP systems - condenser calculations was created by emiliano casati
Good morning Forum!
I've been following the detailed description presented in the 2011 "technical manual for the SAM physical trough model" (section 3.3, from page 63 on).
I'm trying to replicate SAM's outputs and I'm facing problems with the dry-condenser model, both for on- and off-design calculations (attached the model I'm simulating as well as the script I'm using)

summarizing:
-"SAM incrementally reduces the cooling system capacity according to the 'cooling system part load levels'", and "parasitic fan loads are also reduced in proportion with the partial operation" (page 67).

-air mass flow can be adjusted passing from 100% to 50% depending on the thermal load to be rejected (formula 3.14 page 69).

ON-DESIGN OPERATION
the air mass flow is = to the design value and the "cooling system capacity" is not altered. In this case, applying formulas 3.26 and 3.27 (assuming DT_out constant) I obtain a value off by 7% (average of absolute values along the hours whereby condenser is working in nominal conditions). Also the fan power is off by +29%. both are shifts (approximately constant).

Trying to fix this point, I found out that probably SAM calculates the thermal power to be rejected (q_rej_des, formula 3.12) considering the NET design power (W_des) AND the gross cycle conversion efficiency ETA_cycle_des. This affects both the calculated p_cond and fan power, and in my opinion leads to wrong results. Assuming this ambiguity in my calcs the "offset" in these w/r to SAM's output is consistently reduced (2 % in T_cond and 15% in fan power).

Another point is that there are several hours whereby, even though the cycle delivers net electrical power, the fan power is = 0 !!

OFF-DESIGN OPERATION
From the manual I cannot really understand how it's managed...what's the "cooling system capacity" being reduced with steps of amplitude 1/N_hr_pl (page 67) ?? is the condenser area? how is the fan consumption adapted?

SUMMARIZING QUESTIONS
1) is it correct to consider DT_out constant during on- and off- design calculations (as it is explicitly said regarding the wet cooled condenser)?
2)how is the thermal load to be rejected calculated?
3) how it's possible to have net electric power production without fan consumption?
4)how is the off-design managed in more details?
5)might be possible to have access to the fortran code of the condenser?

Thanks in advance

Emiliano Casati

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• emiliano casati
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2013 14:49 #1297 by emiliano casati
Replied by emiliano casati on topic CSP systems - condenser calculations
...still believe it contains several interesting points...

• Paul Gilman
More
22 Feb 2013 18:52 #1298 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP systems - condenser calculations

Moderators: Paul Gilman