Yearly Capacity Based Incentive for StandAlone Battery Model

• nendae
  • Topic Author
More
03 Oct 2022 14:56 #11513 by nendae
Hi,
I am using the StandAlone Battery/ Commercial Owner Model. I would like to include a yearly incentive based on battery capacity. This is to model the revenue received from demand response programs. Is there any way to have the capacity based incentive be yearly? Otherwise, is there a way to use the production based incentive which is yearly? I tried to use production based, but since it is a stand-alone battery there was no production. I am at a loss. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Please let me know if I need to provide additional information or clarify anything.
Kind regards,
Ondrea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
04 Oct 2022 00:29 #11517 by pgilman
Hi Ondrea,

As you have discovered, none of SAM's incentive inputs are set up to model this type of incentive.

You might be able to approximate the incentive as a negative operating cost -- if you try that, be sure to check the cash flow (on the Cash Flow tab) see if the effect what you are looking for.

Can you share a link to a description of an example of this type of incentive. I think we could consider adding that capability to SAM.

Best regards,
Paul.

• nendae
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2022 21:38 #11540 by nendae
Hi Paul,
Thank you for your quick response. I will try out your suggestion.

In my projects I find that participating in demand response programs provide a good financial return and tends to make the battery financially feasible because utility bill savings and ITC just aren't enough. When I pair the battery with solar, I can use the production based incentive (with a bit of math). However, when trying to determine the feasibility of a stand alone battery, it would be really helpful to have the yearly capacity based incentive.

Thank you so much for looking into this. Below are the links you requested.
Kind regards,
Ondrea

These links are for the ConEdison demand response program:

(In depth description of the ConEdison programs)
www.coned.com/-/media/files/coned/documents/save-energy-money/rebates-incentives-tax-credits/smart-usage-rewards/smart-usage-program-guidelines.pdf?la=en

(A helpful table that provides an overview of the programs)
cpowerenergymanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/NY-DR-Programs-Snapshot_ConEd_Feb-2018.pdf

(Expand the New York tab for the programs I am referencing)
www.energy.gov/eere/femp/demand-response-and-time-variable-pricing-programs-northeastern-states

• pgilman
More
10 Oct 2022 23:10 #11550 by pgilman
Hi Ondrea,

Thank you for this information.

As of the current version of SAM (SAM 2021.12.02 r2), the PBI should work with the Standalone Battery model. The PBI applies to the "Battery annual energy discharged (kWh)" value in the Energy section at the top of the cash flow. This was not true for earlier versions of SAM, so please be sure you are using the latest version to see this behavior.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman