PV+BESS Merchant

• Nicolas Machuca
  • Topic Author
More
28 Sep 2022 15:31 #11505 by Nicolas Machuca
PV+BESS Merchant was created by Nicolas Machuca
DearSAM developer team:
Hope you are doing well. I have a questionregarding revenue model on a PV+BESS system. I have two main questions: 

1- Is it possible to generate two independent vectorsof the energy market revenue coming from PV and BESS. 

2- Is it possible to combine a merchant and PPAmodel. For example, Have the revenue from merchant market and a PPA with a x%
less than 100%  of recognition of generation. 

Comments: 
1- I only can generate the two independent vectoroutside of SAM, by using the Price vector and the energy to grid from PV and
BESS separately.
2- I model a merchant market and a PPA with x% ofgeneration recognition (in Ancillary service) but when I add the BESS I get the
following error: "" The generation is not sufficient tomeet the ancillary markets requirements.  Specifically, sum of cleared
capacity 120.795 MW does not match system capacity 16.6194 MW at timestep
7  ""

Hope I made myself understood. 
Kind Regards 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
28 Sep 2022 16:57 #11507 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic PV+BESS Merchant
Hi Nicolas,

1. The Merchant Plant financial model does not have an option to apply the time series prices to different power output vectors. It calculates revenue from "System power generated," which may include power from the PV array, battery, or both.

2. I think you could accomplish this by using the Fixed cleared capacity and time series price option for the Merchant Plant model (on the Revenue page) and set Energy market fixed cleared capacity to x % of generation.

Item 2 in your comments is explained by Scenario 4 in the "Example Compensation Scenarios" section of the Help topic for the Merchant Plant Revenue page: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/revenue_merchant_plant.htm (expand the heading to see the examples).

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman