Battery Manual Dispach

• Nicolas Machuca
  • Topic Author
More
22 Sep 2022 13:59 #11480 by Nicolas Machuca
Battery Manual Dispach was created by Nicolas Machuca
Dear SAM developers 
Hope you are doing well.

Currently I am modeling a PV plus Battery in utility scale and I need to try different battery dispach strategies. In the manual dispach option, I was wondering if is possible to edit the Charge from system rate (%) in the same way it is possible to charge from grid and dischard the battery at different rates 0-100%. 
Attached is the section I was referring to. 

I hope I explain myself clearly. I will be waiting for your answer 
Kind Regards 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
23 Sep 2022 19:01 #11486 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Battery Manual Dispach
Hi Nicolas,

For the manual dispatch options, the “charge from system” rate is determined by the available power from the system and maximum charge power on the Battery Cell and System page. For front-of-meter (FOM) batteries, the battery is charged at the maximum of available system power and the maximum charge rate in any time step that the battery is being charged. For behind-the-meter (BTM) batteries, the the options defined by the check boxes may further control the charge rate.

The “Rate” input for charge to/discharge from grid is needed because the grid has unlimited power. Its purpose is to avoid damaging the battery by charging or discharging it too quickly in a single time step.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Nicolas Machuca
  • Topic Author
More
27 Sep 2022 18:13 #11496 by Nicolas Machuca
Replied by Nicolas Machuca on topic Battery Manual Dispach
Thank you, for the quick answer Paul, 
So the model in FOM case escenario to simplify the operation, take the energy available from the system and charge the battery just with a limitation in energy availability. 
For instance, In a given hour of a day where the plant generates 100 MW and having a 50MW battery, is it not possible to charge it at 25MW (50% of rate) due to model configuration? Unless I give a custom dispach time serie vector. 

Thanks in advance 

Kind Regards 
Nicolás

• Paul Gilman
More
27 Sep 2022 22:50 - 27 Sep 2022 22:52 #11497 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Battery Manual Dispach
Hi Nicolás,

Yes, that is correct. The FOM manual dispatch option assumes that for times when you specify that the battery can be charged from the system, if the battery is not at the maximum SOC, all of the system power charges the battery (up to the battery's maximum charge rate). It is not possible to limit the amount of charge power from the system for the manual dispatch option.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2022 22:52 by Paul Gilman.

Moderators: Paul Gilman