Modeling Bifacial Panels at 90° tilt 90° azimuth

• Nicholas Wade Blanton
  • Topic Author
More
16 Sep 2022 19:21 #11465 by Nicholas Wade Blanton
Modeling Bifacial Panels at 90° tilt 90° azimuth was created by Nicholas Wade Blanton
Hi, first time forum poster here!

I'm having difficulty modeling my 15MWdc vertical bifacial agrivoltaic project in SAM. The simulation returns generation values much too high, with capacity factors over 45%. I would expect a capacity factor of around 15% for a bifacial module in this orientation in a 5.0kWh/day region, given a bifaciality factor of 70% and no shading.

If I uncheck the "bifacial module" box, the simulation returns a capacity factor of around 8%, which is realistic. I can also force the system to model the bifacial installation by making two sub-arrays, the second with 270° azimuth and only 70% as many modules, but this is of course not ideal.

I included my SAM project file. Thanks!
-Nick
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
19 Sep 2022 15:13 #11468 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Modeling Bifacial Panels at 90° tilt 90° azimuth
Hi Nick,

SAM's bifacial model was developed based on measured data for modules with tilt angles of 15, 25, 35 and 45 degrees. We are investigating its suitability for modules with higher tilt angles: github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/1151.

See this similar topic on the SAM forum: sam.nrel.gov/component/kunena/forum-general/3468

And this issue on GitHub: github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/1151

Best regards,
Paul.

• Nicholas Wade Blanton
  • Topic Author
More
20 Sep 2022 15:02 #11473 by Nicholas Wade Blanton
Replied by Nicholas Wade Blanton on topic Modeling Bifacial Panels at 90° tilt 90° azimuth
Paul,

Thank you! I did a forum search before posting and somehow didn't find the earlier thread. I'll follow its recommendations.

-Nick

Moderators: Paul Gilman