Solar azimuth angle calculation

• Linda
  • Topic Author
More
12 Feb 2013 06:17 #1283 by Linda
Solar azimuth angle calculation was created by Linda

Hi.

In the case of the parabolic trough physical model, I have a question, because I want to calculate the solar azimuth angle. I have reviewed some sources of information, but would you please suggest me some. Of the papers reviewed to calculate, I have noticed that this parameter is required to take into account the declination and hour angle, how about that day and hour would be the reference to perform this calculation? If you use any of the models surveyed.

Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
12 Feb 2013 23:14 #1284 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Solar azimuth angle calculation
The physical trough reference manual describes the solar angle equations in Section 2.3. The solar azimuth angle equation is Equation 2.31.

You can download the manual from the Performance Models page of this website.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Linda
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2013 14:45 #1285 by Linda
Replied by Linda on topic Solar azimuth angle calculation

Thanks Paul

But I still have a question, since the equation to which you refer is dependent on where the plant location and the position of the sun in time, i.e. the declination and hour angle. I can calculate these parameters based on a design point?, Some authors set on the 21st June at solar noon (12:00 solar time), or should be doing other considerations

Thanks a lot

• Paul Gilman
More
22 Feb 2013 18:31 #1286 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Solar azimuth angle calculation
Dear Linda,

The physical trough model uses solar noon on the summer solstice to calculate the Incidence Angle Modifier (IAM) and End Loss at Design values on the Collectors page.

"Design Conditions" for the Optical Efficiency at Design value means that the sun is directly above the receiver. The Optical Efficiency at Design value therefore does not include IAM and end losses.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman