CSP Thermal energy storage

• Ahmed Aljudaya
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2022 19:25 #11410 by Ahmed Aljudaya
CSP Thermal energy storage was created by Ahmed Aljudaya
Hi,

I am simulating Linear Fresnel Reflector, and found that the sum of the hourly thermal energy into TES (MWt) is negative over the year!!

1. Even if I use 16 hours of TES. Why is the sum of hourly values (-)? or what does that explain?

2. Even if I set the storage dispatch control w/ & w/o solar to 1, it gives very low thermal energy to storage and it is still dispatching at one hour per day!

I attached a copy of thermal storage input values & the results.

Thank you,

File Attachment:

File Name: Solar vill...rmal.sam
File Size:126 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: solar vill...rum.xlsx
File Size:287 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
31 Aug 2022 23:18 #11414 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP Thermal energy storage
Hi Ahmed,

In each time step, when the value of "TES thermal energy into storage" is negative, it means that the TES is discharging power in that time step.

It might be helpful to use the time series graph to see how SAM is operating the plant. You can plot "Field thermal power produced" and "TES thermal energy into storage" to see the TES charging during the day and discharging at night. For example:

Best regards,
Paul.
Attachments:

• Ahmed Aljudaya
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2022 20:24 #11417 by Ahmed Aljudaya
Replied by Ahmed Aljudaya on topic CSP Thermal energy storage
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your reply and explanation.

My only confusion now is that the sum of all " hourly thermal energy into TES " values is negative!
How is it possible that thermal discharge energy more than the charge? And it is increasing with the increase of TES size!
Where does the exceeded values come from? 

Many thanks for your always support,
Ahmed 

• Paul Gilman
More
06 Sep 2022 17:43 #11423 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic CSP Thermal energy storage
Hi Ahmed,

The molten salt linear Fresnel model uses an older algorithm to solve for energy and mass flow and for plant control that performs poorly under certain conditions, especially during time steps when the solar field, thermal energy storage, and power cycle are all operating. This causes the error you found: On a total annual basis, it is quite small, on the order of 1%.

The molten salt power tower, physical trough, and standalone thermal energy storage models use a newer algorithm, so do not have this problem.

We hope to update the algorithm for the molten salt linear Fresnel model, perhaps in 2023, but are not sure if funding will be available for that work.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman