SAM Geothermal Financial Model with Steam Purchase and zero Wells

• Wainaina
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jul 2022 17:30 #11292 by Wainaina
Hi, 
Thank you for your support with SAM. I am working on a Geothermal Energy project with steam purchase in place of own wells plant configuration. This development model has been adopted in Kenya to lower project risk and attract IPP’s. see below. SAM returns an error message in Plant Configuration with number 0 input for exact number of wells. Is it possible to have 0 wells and an option for steam purchase variable? 

Any prospects of including Hydrogen development project in SAM? I am developing a business case on the back of the Geothermal project above for Green Hydrogen production in collaboration with Israel H2pro modular innovation.  

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Thank you for your support with SAM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
27 Jul 2022 22:51 #11293 by pgilman
Hi Wainaina,

SAM's Geothermal Power model requires that you either specify the plant output or the exact number of wells on the Plant and Equipment input page. This input determines the plant nameplate capacity, so it is not possible to set the exact number of wells to zero.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Wainaina
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jul 2022 23:35 #11296 by Wainaina
Hi Paul 

Thank you for your reply. Any prospects of including a Hydrogen development project in SAM? I am developing a business case on the back of the Geothermal project for utility scale Hydrogen production.

Regards,
Wainaina.

• pgilman
More
27 Jul 2022 23:53 #11298 by pgilman
Hi Wainaina,

You can find a description of SAM's fuel cell model here: samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/fuelcell.htm

We do not have immediate plans (or funding) to add other Hydrogen modeling capabilities to SAM.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman