SAM's model on monthly snow losses

• Sha Li
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jun 2022 18:08 #11163 by Sha Li
SAM's model on monthly snow losses was created by Sha Li
Hello

I am trying to get a monthly estimate of snowfall using SAM's snow model. What I did is output the DC energy (kWh/mo) and Snow DC energy loss (kWh/mo) for each month and calculate snow loss as Snow DC energy loss/(Snow DC energy loss+DC energy) to get the monthly snow loss percentage. but average monthly value doesn't equal to the snow loss observed from loss diagram. Am I missing anything? 

Thanks for the help!
Sha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
23 Jun 2022 16:26 #11170 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SAM's model on monthly snow losses
Hi Sha,

The snow loss percentage shown on the loss diagram is the annual loss in year 1 as a percentage of the nominal DC electricity in kWh, which is also shown on the diagram.

You can also display these values on the Data Tables tab by searching for "Annual DC energy nominal" and "DC snow loss". The time series output "DC power loss due to snow" is the snow loss calculated in each time step.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Sha Li
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2022 21:32 #11172 by Sha Li
Replied by Sha Li on topic SAM's model on monthly snow losses
Thank you Paul for the reply!

So if I want a monthly snow loss percentage, will my method suffice? or is there another way to get the monthly breakdown?

Thanks!
Sha

• Paul Gilman
More
27 Jun 2022 15:42 #11182 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic SAM's model on monthly snow losses
Hi Sha,

There are different ways to calculate these kinds of percentages, so you should be clear about the method you are using when you present your data.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman