User-Defined Tilt Angles for Photovoltaic Subarrays

• Koami Soulemane Hayibo
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2022 00:01 #11112 by Koami Soulemane Hayibo
User-Defined Tilt Angles for Photovoltaic Subarrays was created by Koami Soulemane Hayibo
Hello,

Is it currently possible to change the tilt angle in SAM on an hourly basis? I am currently working on a new design for PV systems racking and my system's tilt angle varies with wind speed. I want to estimate energy production using SAM.

If not, is there a way to integrate a user-defined formula in the SAM algorithm for the calculation of tilt angles? I have looked in PySam but I don't believe PySam gives me access to modify the tilt angles through my own equations.

Regards,
Koami.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
14 Jun 2022 16:50 #11116 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic User-Defined Tilt Angles for Photovoltaic Subarrays
Hi Koami,

It is not possible to assign time series tilt values as input for SAM's Detailed PV model. You can use the Seasonal Tilt option to specify tilt angles by month.

We do have plans to add a time series option to a future version of SAM:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/850

Best regards,
Paul.

• Koami Soulemane Hayibo
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2022 17:45 #11118 by Koami Soulemane Hayibo
Replied by Koami Soulemane Hayibo on topic User-Defined Tilt Angles for Photovoltaic Subarrays
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your answer. I will do this manually. I have been using SAM consistently in my research and if this new study yields promising results, we would like to have it available for other SAM users. Is there a way to adapt our calculation to SAM once we implement it?

Regards,
Koami.

• Paul Gilman
More
16 Jun 2022 14:58 #11127 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic User-Defined Tilt Angles for Photovoltaic Subarrays
Hi Koami,

If you mean that you would like to modify SAM's code based on your work, you can make a code contribution for us to review. See our code contribution policy on the SAM GitHub repository: github.com/NREL/SAM/wiki/Contribution-Policy.

Otherwise, if you mean that you would like to share the results of your research, you can use this forum, or depending on the nature of the results, we may be able to post a link to them from the SAM website.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: Paul Gilman