Module datasheet vs .pan file coefficients

• Jen
  • Topic Author
More
21 Apr 2022 14:57 #10852 by Jen
Which is more accurate for temperature coefficients when one has both a .pan file and a module datasheet for a custom module in SAM? When we import .pan files into SAM, the coefficients seem to be slightly different (and come in with different units) than when we manually enter them into SAM.
Example: One module has Voc Coefficient of -0.27%/°C in the datasheet, but converting the units on the one in the .pan gives -0.282%/°C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
21 Apr 2022 17:27 #10855 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Module datasheet vs .pan file coefficients
HI Jen,

The module temperature coefficients are usually provided on the manufacturer's data sheet.

The data in SAM's module and inverter library comes from the California Energy Commission list of eligible equipment:

www.energy.ca.gov/programs-and-topics/programs/solar-equipment-lists

Small differences in those coefficients are not likely to have a large impact on the simulation results.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Jen
  • Topic Author
More
06 May 2022 17:26 #10936 by Jen
Thanks Paul. 
Apologies for the delayed response. I just now learned I had a reply to my question. I must have missed the box to be notified of replies last time.

We usually use the manufacturer's datasheets for the coefficients, yes. However, we recently learned that there is a way to import the module information from a .pan file into SAM. When we import the .pan file, we get different coefficients than what the manufacturer's datasheet shows us. I was hoping for some insight as to which source is more accurate for the coefficients (data sheet or .pan file) when we have both available.

Thanks,
Jen

• Paul Gilman
More
06 May 2022 21:34 #10937 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Module datasheet vs .pan file coefficients
Hi Jen,

I do not have any insight into which value is more accurate. I think that would depend on what the source of data is for the PAN file.

You could try running a simulation with the different data to see how much of a difference it makes in the simulation results.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Jen
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2022 18:13 #10962 by Jen
Thank you for the input Paul!

• Anton Driesse
More
19 May 2022 17:49 #10975 by Anton Driesse
Replied by Anton Driesse on topic Module datasheet vs .pan file coefficients
Perhaps the answer depends on where the PAN file came from?

Moderators: Paul Gilman