Scheduling early (re)payments of debt in SAM

• gjallar
  • Topic Author
More
31 Jan 2013 21:31 #1232 by gjallar
There are currently large incentives on a federal and state level for Photovoltaic technologies. The System Advisor Model seems to take these large investment based incentives and add them to the year 1 cashflow. I am trying to create an analysis for funding a utility/commercial PV system with a high to complete (100%) debt fraction. There is enough total cashflow being generated to be profitable; yet much of this cashflow is trapped in the year 1 column. I would like to find some way to model paying down the principle on the loan with the cashflow generated by the federal and state investment incentives. This is significant because 30-65% of the principle could be paid down in the first year which would vastly reduce the interest payments required in subsequent years.

It there a workaround in the SAM tool to better model this approach?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul Gilman
More
01 Feb 2013 20:09 #1233 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Scheduling early (re)payments of debt in SAM
Hello,

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but it seems like you could model your scenario by reducing the size of debt so that the payments represent what would be left after paying off the principal, and adjusting the incentive amounts to represent the incentive remaining after the debt principal is paid.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Paul Gilman