We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Solar Azimuth by Altitude Beam Irradiance Shade Loss Table

• d.goodrick
  • Topic Author
More
31 Mar 2022 20:33 #10785 by d.goodrick
I was looking at how to specify shade losses with the Solar Azimuth by Altitude Beam Irradiance Shade Loss Table but I couldn't tell from the documentation what the column row values should be.  The help says: 
``` 
3.In the top row (highlighted in blue), type a set of solar azimuth angle values in degrees between zero and 360 and increasing monotonically from left to right.4.In the leftmost column (highlighted in blue), type a set of solar altitude values in degrees between zero and 90 and increasing monotonically from top to bottom.```

Can I input just the angles I care about (90...270) and (20...45) or do I need 0-360 or 0-90? 

Do the values need to be evenly spaced? 

The documentation suggests that 0 and 360 are both invalid values (between).  Is this the case?   

I tried changing these values in the shading tool and changing them didn't seem to have an effect on the calculated production.Using SAM desktop on a Mac.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
31 Mar 2022 21:02 #10787 by pgilman
Hi Dan,

The values should increase monotonically, but do not need to be evenly spaced.

I think the acceptable range of values is 0 ≤ azimuth < 360, and 0 ≤ altitude < 90.

You can use the "Sun altitude angle," "Sun azimuth angle," and "Subarray [n] External shading and soiling beam irradiance factor" output variables to see how the factors are being applied.

If you need help troubleshooting, please attach copy of your .sam file with the shading data you entered.

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman