We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

PV-Battery system

• Negro
  • Topic Author
More
31 Mar 2022 14:21 #10780 by Negro
PV-Battery system was created by Negro
Hello, 

I'm an engineering student and I'm developing a battery model for my final thesis. 

I have a question related to SAM's model, specifically to the voltage model. When using the voltage-discharge curve (from the manufacturer), how do you calculate the different parameters? I mean A, B, K and Vo (the ones to fit the curve). 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
31 Mar 2022 16:00 #10781 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic PV-Battery system
Hi Irene,

Please see the description of the battery voltage model in Section 2.1 of DiOrio (2015) Technoeconomic Modeling of Battery Energy Storage in SAM listed on the Battery Publications page at sam.nrel.gov/battery-storage/battery-publications.html.

Best regards,
Paul.

• Negro
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2022 08:57 - 01 Apr 2022 16:30 #10791 by Negro
Replied by Negro on topic PV-Battery system
Hello Paul, 

Thank you very much for answering back. 

I've studied in detail section 2.1 of the battery voltage model, but the issue I'm struggling with is that, in order to calculate B and K, I need the values of qexp and qnom (page 4, equations 4 and 5, image attached) and I'm not sure of how to calculate them. I think qfull is the cell capacity (Ah) at 100% SOC, but I'm not sure about the values of the current (I) and both timesteps texp and tnom, in order to be able to calculate qexp and qnom

Thank you very much in advance. I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards, 

Irene.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2022 16:30 by pgilman.

• pgilman
More
01 Apr 2022 16:37 #10797 by pgilman
Hi Irene,

Based on the paragraph before Equations 4-5 on p. 4, it looks like the current depends on the C-rate of the discharge curve. Here is a link to the source code for the voltage model:

github.com/NREL/ssc/blob/892b81b46a66a81ed6d357bc802dd82318372c4b/shared/lib_battery_voltage.cpp#L356

Best regards,
Paul.

• Negro
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2022 10:29 #10818 by Negro
Replied by Negro on topic PV-Battery system
Hi Paul, 

Thank you very much for the reply. 

I would like to ask you about another question that has arise while modeling a battery in SAM. Regarding the Electrochemical Model, when sizing the battery you have some inputs to fit the discharge curve (Cutoff voltage, Nominal zone cell voltage, Exponential cell voltage, Fully charged cell voltage, Charge removed at exponential point, Charge removed at nominal point). This inputs have some values already defined by default, and I would like to ask you if they are defined based on estimations or taken from some manufacture's datasheet.  

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind regards, 

Irene. 

• pgilman
More
08 Apr 2022 18:09 #10824 by pgilman
Hi Irene,

The default parameters are based on our review of the literature. They are not based on information from a particular manufacturer.

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman