We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Slower execution time in new version

• feugenie
  • Topic Author
More
25 Mar 2022 14:34 #10727 by feugenie
Slower execution time in new version was created by feugenie
Hello,

I recently update SAM to its newest version (from 2020.2.29 to 2021.12.02) and I noticed that the execution time is now much higher. From the notice tab, after running a simulation, I read a total time around 1000ms, where it used to run under 200-250ms in the previous version.

Is this normal, maybe I should adjust a parameter ?

Thanks, with regards,
Florian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
28 Mar 2022 16:48 #10731 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Slower execution time in new version
Hi Florian,

Some of the battery dispatch code updates may cause some configurations to run slower. Can you tell me what kind of system you observed these results for?

Best regards,
Paul.

• feugenie
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2022 16:57 #10733 by feugenie
Replied by feugenie on topic Slower execution time in new version
Hi Paul,

I'm running a detailled PV - no financial model. I checked "estimated subarray 1 configuration" and used a standard self shading.

Thanks for your answer, best regards,
Florian

• pgilman
More
28 Mar 2022 17:28 - 28 Mar 2022 17:31 #10734 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Slower execution time in new version
Hi Florian,

Thank you for the additional information. I was able to confirm your observation on my computer:

I think the longer simulation run times for a Detailed PV / No Financial case between SAM 2021.12.2 r2 and SAM 2020.2.29 r3 are due to improvements to the backtracking algorithm and, for subhourly simulations only, the addition of a new transient thermal model for cell temperature calculations. These changes are described in the release notes for SAM 2020.11.29: nrel.github.io/SAM/doc/releasenotes.html#2020-11-29.

I will check with the model developers and follow up if they have any additional insights.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2022 17:31 by pgilman.

• feugenie
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2022 19:02 #10737 by feugenie
Replied by feugenie on topic Slower execution time in new version
Paul,
Thanks for those precisions. It's important for me as i run multiple simulation into with a script : I will probably run SAM 2021.12.2 with user entered specification for the module if needed.
Thanks again for your time ! I'll be listening if you find a way to improve SAM 2020.2.29 running time.

Best regards,
Florian

Moderators: pgilman