We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Wind Merchant Plant - Cambium error + no revenue

• LouTenney
  • Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2022 19:47 #10721 by LouTenney
Hi Paul,
Running SAM 2021.12.2 on Windows. I set up a wind merchant plant and noticed two issues. 
  • First, attempting to download Cambium data resulted in a "Cambium Error from API".
  • I subsequently selected "fixed cleared capacity and time series price" under energy market revenue, input a price /MWh in Single Value mode, and input 100% of generation, but found that the model produces no revenue. 
I was able to get revenues by switching to a Single Owner PPA and inputting a PPA value.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

- Lou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
28 Mar 2022 17:50 - 28 Mar 2022 17:52 #10735 by pgilman
Hi Lou,

My tests confirm that there is a problem with the Cambium price data download. I will investigate and follow up when I learn more.

Your approach of using the fixed cleared capacity and time series price with 100% cleared capacity worked for me. Could you send me a .sam file that demonstrates the results you describe?

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2022 17:52 by pgilman.

• LouTenney
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2022 21:46 #10748 by LouTenney
Replied by LouTenney on topic Wind Merchant Plant - Cambium error + no revenue
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply. I've attached the .sam file. Curious to hear your thoughts. 

- Lou

File Attachment:

File Name: Fixedclear...3-28.sam
File Size:111 KB

• pgilman
More
29 Mar 2022 01:06 - 29 Mar 2022 01:06 #10749 by pgilman
Hi Lou,

Thank you for sending the file.

This looks like a bug with the way the table in the Edit Lifetime Data window works. A workaround is to use the Hourly mode instead of Single Value mode and set the price for all rows in the table to the same value. You can export the table of zeroes to a CSV file and then use a spreadsheet program or a text editor to replace them with the value you want. For example, to set the price to a constant $49/MWh:

1. On the Revenue page, on the Energy Market tab, click Enable energy market revenue.
  2. Choose Fixed cleared capacity and time series price.
  3. For Energy market price for fixed cleared capacity, click Edit lifetime data.
  4. Change the mode from Single Value to Hourly.
  5. Click Export, and save to a file with the .csv extension.
  6. Open the file in a spreadsheet program or text editor, replace zero with the constant price of 49, and save the file.
  7. In SAM, assuming the Edit Lifetime Data window is still open, click Import and choose the file from Step 6.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Set the value of Energy market fixed cleared capacity to a percentage of the generation in a given time step.

We will fix this for the next update to SAM 2021.12.02.

Best regards,
Paul.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2022 01:06 by pgilman.

• LouTenney
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2022 21:37 #10830 by LouTenney
Replied by LouTenney on topic Wind Merchant Plant - Cambium error + no revenue
Hi Paul,
Were you able to figure out why the Cambium price data download isn't working?

– Lou

• pgilman
More
11 Apr 2022 22:41 #10831 by pgilman
Hi Lou,

There is an open issue for the Cambium download problem. We will fix this for the next update:

github.com/NREL/SAM/issues/991

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman