We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

Battery Merchant - Energy Revenue Calculation

• NM_90
  • Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2022 15:26 - 28 Mar 2022 20:56 #10718 by NM_90
Hi,

I'm discovering and testing the SAM Battery Merchant module. I've tried to test a simple case for a stand-alone project with only revenue from Energy Market (hourly price data). Despite entering usual/default inputs (see images below), the results don't give any revenue. It seems like the battery never charge or discharge. 

Thus, could you please let me know if something seems wrong in my inputs or what could be the issue?

Thank you!

Inputs :

Last edit: 28 Mar 2022 20:56 by pgilman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
28 Mar 2022 21:03 #10740 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic Battery Merchant - Energy Revenue Calculation
Hi Nicolas,

From what I can tell from your screenshots, you are using a constant power price with a constant cleared capacity requirement, and have the battery dispatch option set to "automated dispatch."

You should see the battery discharge for the first few hours of the year and then stay discharged. The automated dispatch option is designed to dispatch the battery to maximize revenue from power sales at prices that vary from time step to time step. In your case, the price is constant, so it simply discharges the battery to maximize sales, and does not charge it to avoid the cost of charging the battery.

Best regards,
Paul.

• NM_90
  • Topic Author
More
29 Mar 2022 13:28 - 29 Mar 2022 19:56 #10753 by NM_90
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer. However, as you can see in the picture below, I have input hourly energy price in the "Energy Market Revenue" section. That's why I don't understand why the model don't charge/discharge based on these data. 

Would I need to modify another input?

Thanks,

Nicolas.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2022 19:56 by pgilman.

• pgilman
More
29 Mar 2022 19:58 #10756 by pgilman
Hi Nicolas,

These screenshots do not provide enough information for me to troubleshoot your analysis.

Please attach the .sam file you are using for this analysis if you would like me to help troubleshoot.

Best regards,
Paul.

• NM_90
  • Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2022 12:16 #10761 by NM_90
Hi Paul,

Please see attached the .sam file corresponding to my analysis and my issue.

Thank you,

Nicolas.

File Attachment:

File Name: Scenario1.sam
File Size:107 KB

Attachments:

• pgilman
More
30 Mar 2022 23:16 #10771 by pgilman
Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for attaching your file.

As described in the Help topic for front-of-meter automated dispatch (samrepo.nrelcloud.org/help/battery_dispatch_fom.htm), the Merchant Plant financial model does not work well for standalone batteries because of the cleared capacity requirement.

I've attached a modified version of your file that uses your time series price data with the Single Owner financial model based on the technique described in the note in that Help topic so that the battery dispatches in response to the price data:

Best regards,
Paul.

Moderators: pgilman