We will be performing a major infrastructure and web site ugprades on Friday, September 27th 8:00 am - 5:00 pm MST (UTC -7).

The website will be down during that time.

IPH Linear steam steam conditions

• andrea_absolicon
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2022 14:29 #10703 by andrea_absolicon
IPH Linear steam steam conditions was created by andrea_absolicon
Hello!
I am simulating a Linear Fresnel solar field for steam production and I have noticed some suspicious behaviour in SAM interface: I am indicating
  • 103 C as inlet temperature 
  • 8 bar as heat sink pressure 
  • 0.75 steam quality 
Being the outlet a steam/water mixture at 8 bar I assume that the outlet temperature is automatically calculated and equal to the saturation temperature thus circa 170 C
Yet at the bottom of the "Collector and reciever" tab, the automatically calculated average field temperature difference at design is 223 C, How can that be?
Moreover,  the average field temperature difference at design does not seem to change even when I change the heat sink inlet pressure. 
Maybe I am mistaking the data inputs or how the average field temperature difference at design is calculated, but it does not seem right to me.
The results of the simulation are also a bit fishy to me which makes me suspect even more that something is wrong.

The software version I am using is 2021.12.2. I attach the simulation file and the weather file if you want to reproduce the problem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pgilman
More
19 Mar 2022 02:17 #10712 by pgilman
Replied by pgilman on topic IPH Linear steam steam conditions
Hi Andrea,

This is an issue that we have fixed for the next update to SAM 2021.12.02.

If you have time and would like to help us test the fix before we release the update, you can install this special Beta version of SAM that includes the fix and a few others. This Beta version is only available for Windows. If you do install it, please install it in a separate folder from your existing installation (for example, you could install it in c:/SAM/2020.12.02beta) so that you have both versions on your computer and can remove the Beta version when you are finished testing it.

Here is a link to download the installation file for the Beta test version for Windows:

samrepo.nrelcloud.org/beta-releases/sam-beta-windows-2022-3-17.exe

Best regards,
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: pgilman